Friday 11 May 2012

Sounds of the Swamp

Those who know me will also know that I'm a big fan of the swampy Rockabilly sound. The more the notes seem to slowly ooze out of the guitar, the deeper the bass, the thicker the drums and I just enjoy it more... So I consider myself very fortunate to have one of the swampiest (and best) Rockabilly bands around, right here in Perth: Rocket to Memphis!


Rockets have been around for a while now, but I still consider their first offering "Swampwater Shuffle" to be the standard against which all other "swampy" albums should be assessed.


The title track, Swampwater Shuffle, slowly creeps up on you as it seems to drip off the album - before it hits you in the face with that driving rock. And so things continue: Voodoo Twist grooves right along, while Catwoman and Devil's Ride somehow seem to make me want to keep looking over my shoulder... then, when I'm maybe feeling  a little vulnerable already, What Kinda Man? reminds me not to mess around with girls who know how to use Daddy's gun ;) However, my favourite track from the album (not to mention just one of my all-out favourites) is The Jazz Butcher. If you know the track, you know why... Yes, Rockets, we definitely want more... I can't wait for the next album!


If you haven't got a copy of Swampwater Shuffle already then I strongly recommend you ask Andy (Razor Jack) for a copy the next time you see him at Mustang Bar or DeVilles. You can also pick up a copy at the Mustang Bar on Monday nights from Cool Cats (www.coolcatsrocknroll.com).


Until then, get a taste from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxovVCX5OY&feature=relmfu

No comments:

Post a Comment